Thursday, December 1, 2011

JUDGING THE GOLDEN CRITIC AWARDS: THE TRANSPARENCY PROJECT

For those not aware, the Golden Critic Awards are an independent award show intended to celebrate and recognize the work of the homebrew reviewer community.



As you can imagine, it has a bit of a PR issue right now.

The perception many have is that the show is little more than something intended to give more praise to the people of TGWTG. Or to give awards to people who really don't deserve any recognition for their work, people who's work is so sloppy as to be practically unwatchable in any other circumstance.

When Robert Million approached me to be a judge in mid-November, those were chief among the concerns I raised. You can be assured that if I didn't like the answers I got, I would not be willing to have my name associated with this thing. I did, and I am.

Though the tone coming across in the above video is flippant, the idea behind it is not.

Not including Robert himself, there are six judges who've been selected from many different backgrounds. In order to appear as unbiased as possible he is the only judge associated with CriticTV, through which the GCAs are organized. The rest where chosen from a myriad of different backgrounds and social circles, some of whom I personally recommended. Out of respect for those judges who want to remain anonymous, I won't divulge names; however I can say that I'm not the only person with formal training in film theory.

I've made the decision to be transparent about my judging process. In this way I hope to show these awards in a better light; to bring to light the process and perhaps counteract the hesitations many people have of these awards.

1 comment: