Friday, December 16, 2011

JUDGING THE GCA: NOMINATIONS PART 1

Starting today I'm going to do something a bit different. A number of people have asked about who was nominated. While it's not my place to release the whole list it doesn't mean there's nothing I can do. There are two categories I'm the primary judge of; Best Visual Appeal and Best Writing. It's these I will be posting on.

I'm decided on doing this for two reasons:
  1. Further transparency, as I'll be talking about some of my reactions to it.
  2. Just maybe it will introduce people to some shows they otherwise wouldn't give a chance to.


NOMINATION #1 - Apollo Z. Hack

EPISODE WATCHED:
DAMN! - Watcher In The Woods

BIAS ACKNOWLEDGEMENT:
I was aware of this show and have followed the show since its inception. Matt and myself have collaborated in the past and plan to do so again.

MY THOUGHTS:
There is an identifiable visual style which is consistent despite changes in locations and image filters. The post production elements are effective more often than not. The lighting is competently handled and visually interesting.


NOMINATION #2 - The Game Show Reviewer

The Game Show Reviewer

EPISODES WATCHED:
The Many Themes Of Jeopardy
The Price is Right - Part 1

BIAS ACKNOWLEDGEMENT:
I have never watched this show until judging these awards. Before this, I hadn't heard of this show.

MY THOUGHTS:
There are technical limitations to the physical production, but the green screen effect itself is pretty seamless. The shots themselves are varied and sometimes visually interesting (if dark). Each episode seems to have a CGI environment custom built. At times the presentation rivals that of Angry Joe.


NOMINATION #3 - Animated Analysis


EPISODE WATCHED:
The Brave Little Toaster

BIAS ACKNOWLEDGEMENT:
I was aware of this show previously and had watched an episode previously.

MY THOUGHTS:
The animation is well handled. The framing isn't particularly interesting. There doesn't seem to be attention paid to the lighting.



NOMINATION #4 - Atop The 4th Wall


EPISODE WATCHED:
Pokemon: The Electric Tale of Pikachu

BIAS ACKNOWLEDGEMENT:
I was aware of this show and have followed it for some time. This episode was chosen because its his most recent visually ambitious undertaking.

MY THOUGHTS:
This show's effectiveness is not in its visuals. What Linkara is good at is building atmosphere though pacing and sound design. The editing is solid.



NOMINATION #5 - Angry Joe Show


EPISODE WATCHED:
Saints Row: The Third Angry Review

BIAS ACKNOWLEDGEMENT:
I was aware of this show and have followed it for some time.

MY THOUGHTS:
The color scheme of the show lends a cohesive look to the show. The green screen effects are generally very effective and the lighting is well-exposed.
Little variety to the shots. The CGI background is visually interesting.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, you definitely saw the wrong episode of my show for visuals. XD That was a very laid-back episode visually.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ^^^^^^^
    Likewise for my show as well. I like to think the episodes covering 'Press Your Luck' and 'Pyramid' are my personal best. Either way, I'm amazed I was even nominated!

    ReplyDelete