Thursday, May 16, 2013

'SNARK' PRODUCTION JOURNAL WEEK #1

I've started making a documentary project about the internet reviewing community. How ambitious it's going to end up being or the shape of it I don't really know at this stage, but it's coming together well. The progress has been good enough to do some chronicling of it.

Snark will explore the what, the who, and the why of internet reviewing.

The first phase is interviewing and talking to local reviewers. That's what I'm doing right now.

1ST WEEK TIMELINE
MAY 9, 2013 - First day of filming. Local metal reviewer Happy Viking is first up.

Driving estimated to take an hour. Traffic makes it 90 minutes. It means I'm late. Sean is gracious about it. Has provided pizza and diet coke. Impeccable host.

Relaxed shoot from 5:30pm through 10pm. While light cools, talked about some of the problems in the community as well as potential solutions. Theoretical, of course, but it spurs me on to the next article idea...

Capture footage when I get home. Dust spot on all footage shot with one of the lenses. Fuck.

MAY 11, 2013 - Hear the song 'Bottomfeeder' by Amanda Palmer. Resonates so perfectly with the project that I contact her management about getting use of the song. Cut a 90 second promo piece to the song to help sway opinion.

E-mail takes me 6 hours to write.

Long and kind of rambling, but admittedly the process of writing it helps me articulate what this project is.

MAY 14, 2013 - Response back from manager about the song.

He wants clarification about the project. It only takes me an hour to write this one.

MAY 15, 2013 - Second day of filming with Happy Viking. Concentrate on b-roll. It's impressive just how much this style sucks up that kind of coverage; I always under estimate how much I need to shoot.

Two hours in traffic this time. Shoot from 6pm to 12am. No dust on lenses this time. Also shoot some stills this time. Most don't really work, but a concept Sean came up with is just so evocative of this project and his online identity that I'm seriously considering a series of posters.

Hear back from Palmer's manager. Song is under Creative Commons license for non-commercial work. Feel a bit silly for the 6 hour email, but it means I can use the song.


So yeah, that's it from me for now. Stay tuned for more updates and spread the word!

No comments:

Post a Comment